Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Taking a Break

The car ride home from Iowa was so quiet.  Prima and Segundo were still at the campground with their Grandparents and Aunt, spending an extra day and night there, and Terzo was fast asleep.  The older two had already spent the last three nights sleeping in the RV with their Grandparents and Aunt, while we slept in the cabin across the way.  My Other Half and I had only spent part of the long weekend with Prima and Segundo, as they had preferred to be with their Grandparents and Aunt, riding in their car, spending time at the RV instead of the cabin.  We were both a little sad at leaving Prima and Segundo behind, even though it would only be one extra day, because we had already spent so little time with them.

Don't get me wrong, I love that my kids love their Grandparents and My Sister.  They adore each other and love to be with each other.  And I know that a break from my kids every once in a while is a good thing.  It gives me a chance to decompress from their near constant need for something.  It gives My Other Half and I time to reconnect and have adult conversations that don't involve code words.

But I miss my kids.  And I think that is perfectly okay and normal.  It's okay to miss your kids.  It's also okay to take a break from them when you need it, not when someone says you should.

Some of us need weekends away or a weekly date night or even a couple days a week at the gym.  And if you need that, good for you!  Take it and run, and come back feeling awesome!  I don't need much time away from the house and my kids to feel back to normal.  Usually, a couple hours every couple weeks does the trick and I'm ready to get elbows deep back into parenting again.  And, again, I think that is perfectly okay and normal.

Just please stop insisting that I need to step back.  Because I know when I need a break, and I'll take it then.

But right now, I can't wait to have all my kids back!

3 comments:

  1. I get this. I struggle so much when people say things like "You deserve to go somewhere and leave the kids behind!" Well, yes... but no. And we mamas know when we need the break! I simply know my limits and the breaks are good! But- oh how I miss them and can't wait to have them back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my kids when they're not with me, too. I'm okay with the breaks, but I do miss them!

    ReplyDelete