Sunday, October 19, 2014

Littleness

On our walk at the park in the morning last week, a very nice lady asked how old Terzo was. 

“He’s two,” I said.

“Oh! I have a grandson who is three,” she replied.

“I like this age, two and three are good!” I said as we continued on our walk.

I really am enjoying this little two year old!  He’s cute and clever and has a great time playing with me, his siblings, or on his own.  Sometimes, though, I wish I could start over with Prima and Segundo, and enjoy their little phases more.  I wish I could take this version of myself and be that way when Prima and Segundo were little.

I was so uptight about Prima doing what she was supposed to at each stage and I let so many outside people influence me.  I worried so much about all of the little nonsense stuff and couldn’t block out the opinions of other people.  Add in wanting to expand our family and I feel like I missed out on a lot of the good parts of her littleness.

The same is true for Segundo, although I was much more relaxed him on most things.  But I feel that I missed out on some of his littleness because there were two of them always needing something, and we wanted to have one more.

Prima is literally slipping through my fingers and I can’t slow Segundo down, either.  I’m holding on to Terzo’s littleness with an iron grip because I know too well how soon it will be gone.  I’m trying to enjoy his stubbornness and need to do everything himself, instead of getting so frustrated like I did (and still do) with Prima.  We aren’t so crazy about the little things because we’ve learned that they won’t last. 

So I do like Terzo at this age, and I think I did like it when Prima and Segundo were two.



2 comments:

  1. It's such a different perspective when you have older kids and a little one! I appreciate it so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I enjoy my youngest's little stages more than I did my older two. Because I know how quickly they'll pass.

    ReplyDelete