Monday, October 6, 2014

Reaching a Milestone

A couple weeks ago, I posted about Segundo learning to read on my Facebook page, how proud I was and how I totally cried.  Some milestones are a bigger deal than others; they give you the sense that your kid somehow "made it".

Segundo is my motor-skill child.  Running, climbing, jumping, building, all those things come easily to him.  But when Segundo started remembering stories we read and asking questions about them days later, I wanted to hug him!  When he started reading a couple weeks ago, truly sounding out the letters and putting them together, I walked over to My Other Half and just cried.  Segundo had "made it”.

It’s not that I thought he was never going to read, I knew that he would get it eventually.  It’s just that I worry about when “eventually” will be.  This weekend, I was listening to other parents of kindergarteners and someone was talking about their child being stuck on certain letters.  And I said that they will get it, eventually it will stick and you’ll move on.  

But I thought about what I said later that night.  That waiting part, the eventually part, is hard, especially when their peers seem to get it and your kid is, not struggling, but just not there yet. 

In moments like that, I have to step back and take in the whole of my child, all the milestone moments that led up to this one in particular.  He has his own strengths and his own ideas.  He will reach all the milestones in his life, on his own terms and in his own time.  

Segundo, Prima, Terzo, they are going to make it, in their own good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment